Well, it’s Tuesday (7/10/18) and I thought I’d better update you on what’s going on with us. We’ve had an unplanned event. Last Friday night, Darlene’s leg started turning red and she developed a fever. We waited until Sunday night before seeking help, other than over the counter paid medications. I took her to the ER Sunday night/Monday morning (2 AM) and she was diagnosed with cellulitis.
She was admitted to the hospital and given IV antibiotics to attack the infection as quickly as possible, with the plan that perhaps Tuesday she could walk out with a prescription in hand and continue on with our travels. However, she took a bad turn overnight Monday. Her blood chemistry went haywire and her blood sugar spiked to over 500. She was diagnosed with diabetic ketoacidosis. To make matters worse, she has also developed some sort of internal bleeding in her GI tract. They can’t scope that (under anesthesia, of course) until the blood work improves. She’s also lost enough blood that she need’s a transfusion.
She is in ICU right now and will be in the hospital for an undetermined amount of time (Christiana Hospital in Newark, Delaware). Please pray for her recovery. She is very tired from at least 3 nights with little to no sleep (and of course, she can’t rest with all the attention she’s currently receiving), the acids in her blood, the loss of blood, and still pain in her leg. I’ll update you with her progress after the blood chemistry improves and the GI scope can be performed.